Thursday, January 8, 2009

Manifesto

Version 1

My art is…
Expressive: My ideas, experiences, thoughts and emotions are brought to life in my work. The art is designed to communicate, to convey a message or concept.

My art is…
Motivating: The work is fun for me to plan, to make and create. It has a sense of purpose and direction. There is a sense of achievement for me in viewing the end result.

My art is…
Open: I am open to others’ suggestions and feedback and listen before I decide whether to embrace these views or not. I am open to new influences, new ideas, new skills and approaches. I don’t have a set style or medium and I plan to grow through, and with, my art without fitting into a specific category, style or camp.

My art is…
Tangible: Something will exist as an output of the process, be it text, painting, photography or 3d. The work has form.

My art is…
Imaginative: I aim to be playful in my interpretation, giving my creativity and imagination free-reign. I work around the short-term student limitations of time, skill and budget, finding other effective means to develop my ideas.

My art is…
Varied: To keep my passion alive I need to move on, learn new skills and explore different means of expression. My work is not about fine honing one idea, refining a technical skill to the level of expert or working on a life’s time project. Whilst I may revisit ideas and methods from time to time, the process and end product will be markedly different rather than an evolution of the previous work.

My art is…
Evocative: My work engages others at an emotional level, evoking a reaction, a memory, a response which stays with the viewer.

My art is.



Version 2

This manifesto is for :

  • Those who don’t want to join a group, follow a leader or religiously adhere to a statement of beliefs about art or anything else
  • Those who do not understand why anyone would want to write a manifesto (or come to that a blog, a message board comment, a letter to the Times, or a mission statement)

Er, that’s it.

No comments: