Wednesday, October 22, 2008

EID.
By Laura Mcintosh


Head down, Ipod on. I stumbled upon a sea of copper.
Heady with the heat of warm sweaty bodies.
I continually requested. " Excuse me!!". And one by one the copper sea parted in sync, squashing together and letting me through.

At 5'3, if I had known, that I would be engulfed by a crowd of many men, I would have turned running back through the crowd, that was now caressing my clothing.

I'm claustrophobic. Even with a gathering of a few.
The thought of hundreds stealing my air with their chests, had me clutching at my scarf.

'Excuse me please!!".

I proceeded, repeating the single phrase , that I used that cold winter morning.

As I took a deep breath and gathered my faculties.
Smelling smoke I  remembered the lit cigarette in my hand.
Remembering to not step on any toes, and stopping myself from burning an hole in their neatly pressed garments, distracted my mind long enough from the suffocating desire  to want to run away.

I looked up at all their warm faces and smiled, as they courteously told each other that I was coming through.

This wasn't what I expected.
Weren't they suppose to be ' 'Sexist!?'. 'Violent ??'

....Finally.

Fin. 

No comments: