Thursday, November 20, 2008

GOOD ART RULES

By Rosy Forward

Rules of Good Art – General

Good art is:
Defined by it’s maker and their promoters
Created by famous artists and their assistants
Defined by the cost of the art piece
Expensive

To be famous you must be young, preferably male and go to particular London art schools
You then need to do post graduate studies, preferably at the RCA
Once you are famous your assistants can make your art and you need only to sign it

Rules of Good Art – Art School

Good art:
Pushes boundaries
Is political, ironic, intellectual
Is not obvious, traditional, pretty or descriptive unless ironic
Is defined by the opinions of others
Is not craft or ceramics which are c words
Is more about ideas than application

Good artists:
Make beautiful sketchbooks
Use photos only for reference Never to copy from
Talk about art in a way that is profound but unintelligible

In art there are no rules, but there are.

My Art

Before art school I broke the rules in my naivety but I had fun
Then I was inhibited by the rules of art school and I got stuck

Now and in the future what I want from my art is:
To feel free to break rules
To feel uninhibited
To enjoy the process more and mind less about the result
To define my own success
To get on with it, risk it, bugger it

What I want from others
Honesty
Indifference if that is honest
Interest
Criticism
Admiration
Suggestion
Money


Good art rules – (but is it OK?)

No comments: