Sunday, November 2, 2008

space

Up a small singular stone step, through a keystone archway, the rotting wood frame and rusting hinges the only remnant of the door from which once hung. The question is posed as I effortlessly over come the mock wall two breeze blocks in height: was this once entirely blocked off ? Once inside, most likely because of the missing door, I find the space not in the least bit claustrophobic, but others would. The dimensions are difficult to determine, 5’ in diameter seems a reasonable guess based on my 5‘9” height. The height is an entirely different matter; dizzying then nauseating if looked at too long - two stories, maybe ? The walls, which presupposes a flat and straightness are made from layer upon layer of mortared bricks set in a circle. The dirt floor, although likely to originally have been dirt, is clearly much higher than planned based on the singular step and natural ground outside. This leaves me with yet another question: is this because of decades of dirt or that just accrued from abandonment ? somehow a staggering amount if it is since the latter. I find myself going in and out again of my space, each time noticing it anew. At first there were only the large things noticed: a patch of very fine, greens and black coloured moss flowing down nearly directly in front, just slightly to the left; the tapering window at 3:00; the large elliptical hole in the ceiling; the three large steel structural supports; another window; or the numerous frayed spider webs dusted with dust. Then noticing the nooks and crannies just above the floor which numbered in 3; that the second brick from the keystone is missing on the inside of the archway; the wooden archway doorframe; the rusted door hinges; the seemingly pointless wooden structural supports on the brick arch; a rusted metal hook jutting out. As I make my way around again and again, I find more little holes, missing bricks in the “walls” 7, 8, 9; large industrial size bolts in the middle of the steel supports; that the two upper supports are peculiarly connected like holding hands; that more light is coming in towards the top; the mortar is flaking away; the surprisingly milky white colour of the “walls”. Now and again, while leaving my space, I am chanced upon by the occasional man going past who gives me an odd glance. This strikes me as odd since I have finally found my space, I have reason to be there but what is his ?

No comments: